Wall heaters are among the most popular low-energy-consuming and economical home heaters among homeowners. In the US, about 30 million households are heated with some type of gas-fueled heating systems, and not surprisingly, gas-fueled wall heaters are the single biggest segment among all types of gas-fueled space heaters.
The American Gas Association (AGA) reports that wall heaters account for 80% of all direct-vent gas-fueled space heaters.
Wall heaters are often installed in bathrooms, kitchens, powder rooms, and laundry rooms, in addition to basements, garages, workshops, and home offices.
Unlike other types of gas-fueled heating units, such as portable and kerosene space heaters, wall heaters are installed directly into the walls of your home.
1. Mr. Heater Corporation F299831 Vent-Free 30,000 BTU Radiant Natural Gas Heater
The Mr. Heater F299831 is a great, inexpensive natural gas heater with a 30,000 BTU output. Although it’s not a great choice for larger rooms, it’s perfect for small living rooms, garages, basements and the like.
Some of the reasons for our recommendation are the 30,000 BTU output that makes this heater perfect for a limited number of people and the twin safety tip-over controls.
The heater is made from heavier duty steel that allows it to be very stable, even on slightly uneven floors. Also, the base of the heater features a rubberized material that keeps the heater in place even if you place it on a slippery surface.
2. Mr. Heater Corporation F299720 Vent-Free 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater
- Vent Free: No Vent Required, No Carbon Monoxide, No Power Failure & No Vent to Clog or Block
- Designed with a pilotless ignition system, a tip-over safety switch and a thermally activated spark arrestor.
- Provides up to 4,500 sq. feet of heating coverage.
- Converts easily from heat to fan to extend the season.
- Makes a great heat source for outdoor cooking.
- Fuel tank features a patented pressure regulated valve that delivers constant tank pressure, eliminating the need for adjusting the regulator
- Includes a regulator with 10 micron wafer gauge with an easy to read display
- Has a power bar with built-in safety spark arrestor.
- Fairly loud when in operation
- A bit large and heavy
- Only has one heat setting
The pros of the Mr. Heater Corporation F299720 far outweigh the cons. It is a great gas heater with a really large output and is perfect for any home.
Its portable design makes it great for gardening purposes and it has many features that will be pretty useful for any home emergency kit.
3. Dyna-Glo GBF30DTDG-2 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Vent Free Garage Heater
- Nozzle is set at an angle to increase airflow
- Works well at high or low temps
- Quickset adjustable thermostat with auto-reset
- Portable design so you can take it with you
- Plenty of settings with heat output up to 30,000 BTU
- Graphics on tubing are stylish
- Fan won’t shut off until you shut the blower off
- Vent-free system means no expensive sensor,
- Combustion air needed is the intake not the output
- No built-in controls
- Side-cut knobs can be tricky to figure out
- Compact design means it’s ideal for smaller areas
- Venting required
With Electronic Ignition.
The Dyna-Glo is a 30,000 BTU garage heater that will be just about ideal for all types of garages, workshop, and barns. It’s perfect for holding the temperature where you need it and has a neat auto-reset feature that will keep it at the temperature you need.
4. Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Vent Free Blue Flame Natural Gas Heater MHVFB30NGT
- Ventless design
- Includes control for adjusting flame
- Digital control panel with operation light indicators
- Virtually no assembly
- Customer service
The energy-efficient ventless heat exchanger warms the room with a powerful blue flame. With its advanced operating thermostat and safety features, the air heaters maintain a stable burner temperature, protecting you and your family.
Large enough to heat a small to medium size room, this heater is especially effective in garages, workshops, and hangouts. The unit is easy to use and includes an LED display. With its electronic ignition, you can trust that your unit will light up every time, without the use of matches.
5. Kozy World Dual Gas Fuel Wall Heater Model KWD215
- Dual fuel – operates on 100% Natural Gas or 100% Propane
- Precision fan control for maximum performance
- TempSense technology automatically adjusts the temperature for constant warmth
- Powder-coated paint for longer life
- Heats up to 2,800 square feet
- Entirely made of 304 stainless steel
- Operating room-grade digital time display with a backlit LCD screen
- Handy remote control for even more convenience
- Can be expensive to get setup
- Not easy to install, but not impossible either
- Vent free heater means you’ll have to keep all windows and doors closed while it’s running, not great when you have to let in fresh air during colder weather
- Sometimes has trouble starting up if you don’t push the button exactly in the middle.
- If you use propane, you’ll need to have a natural gas line installed in your house for installation.
6. Mr. Heater Corporation F299721 Heater
- Safe for indoor and outdoor use, up to 45,000 BTUs on high
- Heats quickly and is small enough to fit in your garage
- Can be used to heat patios, water, and a workshop
- Has hanger features on top for easy storage
- Easy to use with a low to medium price point with a wide range of temperature settings
- Has an automatic tip over shut off safety feature
- Comes with handles for easy portability and storage
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
- Can heat up to 100 square feet, making it perfect for small to medium sized rooms
With the F299721 wall heater, Mr. Heater Corporation lets you choose between a corded or cordless model. The cordless wall heater has a maximum temperature of 212F, a run time of up to 10 hours, and a 15 amp fuse.
It allows you to focus the heat where you want it and can heat anywhere from 100 to 400 square feet depending on the temperature.
The corded heater is 20 inches tall, 20 inches wide, and 16 inches deep, is made from steel and plastic, offers two heat settings, and a 5,500 BTU output.
7. Dyna-Glo BF10NMDG 10,000 BTU Natural Gas Blue Flame Vent Free Wall Heater
- Built-in thermocouple
- Longer heat output
- Quicker start-ups
- Reduced emissions
- Easy to install and operate
- Lower energy consumption
- Higher efficiency
Our first pick in the category of natural gas wall heaters is the Dyna-Glo BF10NMDG 10,000 BTU, and it holds its own against the more expensive models. There is a reason behind the popularity of this model. It is super easy to install and operate, which makes it a handy choice even for inexperienced users. Even though it is relatively heavy, it is still portable. It comes with a built-in thermocouple, which makes it safer to use, and it can be placed just about anywhere.
The BTU number given by companies is often misleading, and there is a need for a bit of clarification. A BTU is supposed to stand for British Thermal Unit. However, manufacturers often use them as a marketing tool to increase sales. Things start getting a bit confusing when you have a BTU rating of 8500. According to the National Hardware Manufacturers Association (U.S.), a single British Thermal Unit is the heat required to increase the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.
8. Dyna-Glo BF30PMDG 30,000 BTU Liquid Propane Blue Flame Vent Free Wall Heater
- Ideal for large spaces with high ceilings
- Easy to light
- Safe for pets, especially if you have dogs
- Very little ventilation required
- Airflow isn’t consistent; best for dryer climates
You read correctly. This isn’t a gas or ventless space heater; it’s a vent free liquid propane wall heater. This is meant to be mounted on the wall and best used in open spaces with a high ceiling. Let’s look at some of the features:
- An electric ignition for easy lighting of the appliance
- An automatic thermostat to regulate the temperature of the room
- Can be used for homes with latex paint
- Is safe for pets, if you have dogs
- Can heat up to 1800 sq ft and has a maximum of 30,000 BTUs
- Can be mounted on the wall in one of two ways – horizontally or vertically
This heater has very few drawbacks, one of them being that it needs a lot of ventilation to help extend its life.
9. Dyna-Glo IR12NMDG-1 12,000 BTU Natural Gas Infrared Vent Free Wall Heater
- Large capacity
- Compact design
- Comes with an Aqua-Magic pump
- Burner operates at 95 degrees only
- Can control the flow rate
- Easy to install
- No carbon monoxide and smoke
This Dyna-Glo IR 12NMDG-1 12,000 BTU natural gas infrared vent free wall heater is one of the highly rated vent free heaters in the market today, for a couple of reasons.
First off, it’s got more BTUs – 12,000 BTU – than most other wall heaters on the market. This means it’s going to warm up the space in no time. And it does just that, although it comes with a price. So it’s no surprise why this natural gas infrared vent free wall heater is one of the most expensive units out there.
Next, it’s highly energy efficient. Dyna-Glo will save you money right from your very first month by consuming less energy than other heaters.
10. Dyna-Glo BF30NMDG 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Blue Flame Vent Free Wall Heater
- Superior construction
- Space saving design that can be installed almost anywhere in your house
- 29% more energy efficient than 30,000 BTU gas wall heaters
- Works great for drying clothes
- Efficient for home offices and studios
- A great alternative to electric heaters
- Comes with a 10 year warranty
- Very expensive if you don’t already have a gas line run to the wall
- Ventless which requires proper installation
- The sides have a tendency to get hot
- There can be some heat loss through the wall
The Dyna-Glo BF30NMDG is a powerful and efficient natural gas wall heater that has the ability to heat up any room of your house. The unit has been designed to be very energy-efficient and has a 29% higher heating output than a comparable 30,000 BTU unit. This means that you can save a lot of energy and money on your monthly bill.
The unit comes with a tip-over shut off switch that will turn off the heater if it should get tipped over. Another safety feature built into the unit is that it will require 90 seconds to cool down so that you can safely adjust the thermostat settings. This heater is perfect to dry off your clothes after a shower or to provide instant warmth in the bathroom or studio.
11. Mr. Heater
- Fueled by natural gas
- High BTU rate: up to 30,000 BTUs
- Durable construction
- Adjustable temperature and flame control
- Since it’s ventless, the room will smell of gas
- Energy consumption is high
This garage heater is fuel-efficient and uses up to 30,000 BTUs. With traditional gas-fired models this large, you have to be careful not to fill the room with heat too quickly. That’s not the case with this model, however, as the heat is channeled in the direction you want it to go.
However, although the flame is adjustable, you can’t turn it off without allowing the unit to cool off. There are also no safety features to prevent the unit from running out of gas. But because the heat lasts for so long, this isn’t a problem.
The digital control panel is large and easy to use. It allows you to set your desired temperature within a range of 50 to 90 degrees. There is also a flame adjustment you can make. However, these controls are on the back of the unit, meaning you need to reach over the unit to use them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best natural gas wall heater?
Gas has been a popular heating source for well over a century. It’s not only cost-effective, but it’s also extremely efficient and runs 97% of the time.
Gas is perfect for residential buildings, so if you have a large home, it can be a wise investment. Plus, it’s as easy to install as a typical electric or oil-based model, without having to hire an outside source.
All of the following gas wall heaters are easy to install and styled to blend into almost any interior design. They are also all grounded.
How much does it cost to run a natural gas wall heater?
The average household uses around 3300kWh per year. If you use a gas wall heater expect your gas bill to be approximately 6-times that amount.
The reason they’re so expensive to run is because of the sheer amount of energy they take to run. Typically a gas wall heater will not come into your home until it has been pre-heated. So, they are running on high power while their pilot light has almost burned out.
There is no way to calculate the amount of money you will pay approximately for a natural gas wall heater before you buy it. If the wall heater has an energy efficient rating then it will be a lot cheaper, but are these ratings accurate?
Are gas wall heaters efficient?
If youʼre in the market for a new wall heater for your home, you’ll definitely want to consider gas wall heaters. Why? For one, they’re the most efficient form of heating available. This means that you’ll be spending less on your energy bills each month. You won’t need to worry so much about going over your budget for your home because gas wall heaters are much more affordable upfront and energy efficient.
Gas wall heaters are also more versatile. If you need or want to use a heat exchanger or dual fuel heating system in the future, gas wall heaters are ideal. They’re also easy to install in an existing space, so if you don’t want to make any major changes to the walls of your home, gas wall heaters are a good option.
What is the best vent free heater?
The best vent free heater is a portable one. They are easier to move in and out of rooms to adjust your house temperature. You can also position them for maximum effectiveness.
Before buying any one of these units, you want to consider how much heat they put out and whether or not it is enough to heat an entire room or at least part of a room.
Also, think about how much space you want them to take up in your house. If you plan to keep it in the same room, you may want to buy an oversized unit to make sure everything will fit in it. If you want to move it around from room to room, you may want to buy a smaller one.
Since electric costs are still high in many areas, you want to make sure to consider your budget as well. The models below are all very affordable and you can purchase several for a cheap price. This is especially true if you want to heat more than one room.
Fortunately, manufacturers have made the choice to create natural gas wall heaters that are more energy efficient, less toxic and much safer to use than the ones they made in the past.
If you’re trying to decide which natural gas wall heater is best for your home, this guide should help you determine which features are most important to you. Whether it’s efficiency, temperature range, or safety, we can give you a short list of the top options and why they made the cut. If you’re in a hurry, you can check out our reviews of the 10 best natural gas wall heaters.