In today’s article we will be reviewing the Calphalon 12 Piece Contemporary Space-Saving Self-Sharpening Cutlery Set.
Our reviews are based on in-depth research and product analysis. Let’s dive in!
- The set is an ideal choice for those who want to start an in-home cutlery collection.
- The cutlery set features a sleek design that will add a touch of class to the kitchen.
- The knives included in the set are self-sharpening to make sure that you get the best of overall performance.
- The knives in the set are ideal for most storage containers and cabinets.
- The hollow-ground blades are easy to maintain and also help in keeping the weight of the knives down.
- The knives come with covers but those covers for some users are not of a usable quality.
I'm looking at knives because of recent conversations about knife blocks, and it's at that point that I can't help but look at some of the self-sharpening ones.
In this review, I'll talk about the Calphalon contemporary space-saving knife block. It has a newly designed handle that fits better into modern kitchens. It's made from high-quality cork with a special resin that makes it non-slip and sturdy. The key here is that the handle color blends in perfectly for modern kitchens.
The block has twelve different cutlery pieces, including a large chef's knife as well as a paring knife, 8 steak knives, 4-4.5-inch steak knives, 8-inch utility knives, a serrated slicer, 9-inch ceramic steak knife, a bread and sandwich knife, a peeler, and one chef's knife.
I like the fact that the set is made with forged, high-carbon German steel. This is something only made at the Calphalon factory, and it's a product I use regularly. It has a well-balanced forged, high-carbon Japanese steel blade with a no-stain, non-stick coating.
I also think the full tang design of the block makes it extremely sturdy – not to mention balanced. Because of this full tang design, the block has a chance of becoming fully balanced if it's regularly used, and less likely to wobble if it's bumped.
This is also a space-saving set because when folded up, the pieces nest into one another and fit into the knife slots. More importantly, when it's open, the set takes up less space than the average set.
It's also a pretty sharp set. From all the reviews on Amazon, it gets positive feedback. It doesn't have the best brand name or logo, but it's still a very well-made knife block with some neat added features.
Not what you’re looking for? Read our roundup review: 10 Best Calphalon Knife Sets Reviews in 2022 (Sharp Picks)